Thursday, May 26, 2011

Homestead Heritage / Austin Lifestyle Photographer

Just north of Waco is a quiet little town called, Elm Mott, TX.  Nestled just a few miles off the beaten path from I-35 is Homestead Heritage at Brazos De Dios.  This is a special place, where a community of homesteaders live and work in a way that hasn't changed with technology or modern conveniences.  They value craftmanship, family, and sustainability.  They make and sell hand crafted furniture, pottery, and fiber arts, as well as bakery items in the cafe.  I had lunch there recently on my way home from Dallas and I spent a few hours walking around taking pictures and enjoying myself.  The working Gristmill is a really interesting feature on the property.  I bought some grits to take home, and enjoyed talking to the man working the mill, who took time out from what he was doing to talk to me about how it worked and said that the building itself was from the 1750s.  There were several things I had not seen since I was last there, including the Fiber Arts shop, where the women were weaving and shades of colored yarns rest on wood beams overhead.  I always enjoy browsing the items for sale at the barn and pottery shop.  It really is an enchanting place to visit, but go on a day when the cafe is serving the strawberry cream pie.  It is probably the best dessert I have ever had...that didn't have chocolate in it that is!  They were out that day, guess I'll just have to go back again soon!