Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Vacay Cont. Rockport, MA / Austin Travel Photographer

To conclude my summer vacay in New England series, is Rockport, Massachusetts.  This was the last day of our trip and this town is right up my ally!  Rockport is an absolutely charming coastal town with plenty of great shops, sailboats, history, so much pretty!  One of the famous landmarks in Rockport is Motif #1, which is the red fishing shack known throughout the world and featured in many paintings and photographs.  Apparently it got its name from an illustrator and etcher who spent his summers in Rockport teaching students.  He must have been tired of everyone sketching this building so he called it Motif No. 1 and it stuck.  I liked this moment I captured with the duck swimming past and the glasslike surface of the water.
We mostly just walked around and went in a couple shops before they closed.  Lula's Pantry is a great cooking store and the owners were so nice.  We enjoyed chatting with them and they also have a back deck for viewing the harbor.  That giant flaky pastry I'm holding is called an Elephant Ear from Rockport Fudgery; a delightful cinnamon/sugar crunchy thing that was bigger than my head!


We really enjoyed this town and I definitely recommend the drive to spend a summer day or two there if you're ever in Boston.